ROOM by ROOM GUIDE TO TRANSITIONAL INTERIOR DESIGN AND DECOR GUIDE
Traditional and contemporary, masculine and feminine, the surprising dance of different materials and fabrics... What is the transitional style that will never go out of fashion among the interior design trends, what you need to know for transitional home decor, we will explain all of them beautifully. Oh, by the way, "You had an eclectic style, isn't it the same?" If there is such a question, do not worry, read on.
If you are only interested in products!
What is Transitional Style? What are the Characteristics of the Transitional Interior Design Style?
Something is understood from his name, but what exactly are we talking about "the transition"? We call the combination of traditional and contemporary style as transitional. If you like modern decor but find it too cold, if you like traditional furniture but it is hard to lay your house in this complete style, transitional home decor offers you a “medium decision” option.
Transitional interior design has a calming, clean aesthetic. It is simple and sophisticated, not complex. It is as characteristic as you can display a lacquered countertop side by side with an antique furniture. In summary, it combines the warmth of the traditional with the clean aesthetics of the contemporary. Also, it will never go out of fashion; because there will always be a "traditional" and a "contemporary".
Neutral Color Palette
Warm whites, creams, grays, taupes create the transitional design color scheme. Colors such as browns, blacks, warm green and blue are used for accent purposes in details. You should not compromise from the neutral color palette. This is basically what makes the style sophisticated and calm. Saturated colors are not in transitional design style.
Low Accessory Usage
You should keep the accessory usage to a minimum to avoid a complex and tiring style. Carpet, throw pillows, pot plants, blanket, wooden tray and silver candlestick are the most used accessories.
Texture and Fabric Diversity
- Transitional home decor is not generous in colors and accessories, its borders are clear. But you can invite the fun and fun to your room by using different textures together. Feel free to mix velvet, suede, leather, chenille, cotton fabrics, plush pieces.
- Be brave about the type of fabric. Don't keep the patterns too exaggerated. Usually tiny geometric patterns are seen in transitional home decor.
- While materials such as rattan, wicker, jute and sisal are not traditionally used, they are used in transitional decor.
Open Floor Plan
Transitional style homes have an open floor plan. It is clean, spacious and soothing. It is not multi-compartment, closed, complex and crowded.
What is Transitional Style Furniture?
For transitional furniture, the legs are as follows, the rules such as this is not valid. The general principles of style also apply to transitional furniture. In fact, it would be more correct to say that we are talking more about transitional furniture combinations. Or, for example, if we are talking about a transitional table alone, there is a pleasant contrast between the old and the new, either in its form or in its details. What are these contrasts, let's see:
- Curved furniture matches straight, clean lines.
- Masculine and feminine style are combined.
- Young and old style are together.
- Many materials such as wood, glass, lacquer, rattan, metal, steel are used together.
- Profiles can be straight lined or round.
- It is simple but sophisticated.
- There is room for mirrored, glass or metallic furniture.
- Several antique furniture can be used with simple and modern furniture. A characteristic interior design style is created with unexpected combinations of furniture.
What are the Differences of Eclectic and Transitional Decor?
The eclectic style is much more crowded, fancy and intricate. Transitional decor is much simpler, simpler and sophisticated. It does not compromise the neutral color palette, few accessories, and to a certain extent minimalism. The eclectic style is less refined.
What are the Differences of Contemporary and Transitional Style?
Transitional style is more ornate than contemporary decor. It uses soft forms of traditional style instead of angular lines. Some antique or old items are used in transitional decoration. Stunning artworks and accessories are more common in contemporary decor.
- Geometric, bright and clean lines are the essence of transitional style kitchens.
- Colors such as white, cream, gray, beige and soft blue are suitable.
- Transitional kitchen cabinets can be painted wood, usually in light or medium colors. White is always a favorite. If you have traditional kitchen cabinets, balance them with contrasting surfaces such as a lacquered kitchen island or marble countertop.
- Marble or glass on the top and wooden transitional dining tables on the bottom are iconic. The wooden table with a clean surface also works.
- Modern chairs with traditional fabric upholstery would be great.
- Matte decorative hardware stands out in transitional kitchens.
- Stainless steel hoods and accents are the most preferred ones.
- In the kitchen island, a waterfall-edged bench can be interesting. The marble countertop is iconic.
- You can choose subway tile, mosaic and glass tile surfaces. Feel free to use different textures on the countertop, tiles and floor.
- You can attach traditional handles to simple kitchen cabinets.
- Apron sinks and stainless steel faucets are great duo.
- Under-counter lighting and interior cabinet lighting are popular. Generally preferred is industrial lighting. A traditional chandelier can also hang over a modern kitchen island. Transitional lighting is shaped according to other furniture.
- Keep very few decorative items on the walls and shelves.
- A modern ottoman with wooden legs or bedside furniture always works.
- You can combine a farm-style wardrobe with a metal dresser.
- Transitional beds are generally minimal. You can choose a platform bed.
- You can use throw pillows in different patterns and textures.
- The suede headbord or the French country headbord and the monochrome duvet cover set can be a nice contrast.
- Choose the chandelier according to the dominant style (contemporary or traditional) in the room. If you are going to choose a large crystal chandelier, make sure the other elements in the room are much more minimal or industrial. It is better to keep decorative elements or furniture of traditional style to a minimum, remember.
- Note that for a sophisticated transitional interior design, the color palette should circulate in neutral tones.
- You can make a great highlight with a spot-on contemporary wall art.
- Transitional ceiling fan is also frequently used in rooms, keep in mind.
- You can use a striking color like green and blue in a blanket that you throw on your bed.
- Use distressed wood and smooth metal furniture together.
- Include dark green, brown and blue colors in small pieces such as pillows and paintings that will make remarkable explosions in the neutral color palette.
- Use different fabric types such as suede, velvet, chenille on upholstery and curtains.
- A single color sofa set is not included in the transitional style living room. Transitional sofa has geometric and clean lines. You can use traditional fabrics in your upholstery as long as you pay attention to the color palette.
- Most of the Farmhouse styles are compatible with transitional decor. You can use it as a transitional coffee table by installing glass or metal on worn wooden crates.
- If you have a traditional brown table, you can combine it with industrial lighting with bare bulbs.
- For transitional rug, you can use more modern pieces like sisal or jute. If your furniture is modern, if the decoration of the room is usually made of contemporary pieces, an antique carpet is a better choice.
- Brick wall decor or fireplace wall is recommended.
- If it suits your style, the silver candlestick adds a nice shine.
- Prefer green potted plants instead of colored flowers in vases.
- Transitional bathroom vanities are generally models with bright marble and farmhouse cabinets. Or old type bathroom cabinets are renewed to be bright and smooth.
- A minimal, square or round mirror works. Stay away from carved, gold leaf mirrors.
- We recommend using wood either on the floor or in the bathroom cabinet.
- You can get a surprising style by combining the recently favorite glass shower cabin with brass faucet accents.
- Wouldn't it be nice to have a crystal chandelier on a minimal tub?
- You can balance a hand-held spray shower heads and a hammam-style bathroom with contemporary surfaces.
- Heated floors and saunas are common in transitional bathrooms. Run for luxury and comfort.
- Prefer recessed panel type storage areas. The open shelf style can create an overcrowded image for transitional. Of course, there is no harm in exhibiting one or two towels.